Have you ever heard of walking netball? Well if not we will tell you all about it here. You never know, it might be exactly the activity that you have been looking to get involved with.
Did you used to play netball when you were younger? Or do you have an injury that stops you from running around as much as you would like? Walking netball is aimed at people like you. It is netball; the rules are more or less the same, but you cannot run, you have to walk. So, basically it is just netball at a slower pace.
Walking netball is great if you are looking for a social sport where you can meet people and get fit and healthy at the same time. It’s important to keep as active as you can as you get older or while you are recovering from an injury, and participating in the game will improve your energy levels and increase your strength and your flexibility.
Because you must walk instead of run, England Netball have recommended some rules which are good to follow to make the game run as smoothly and effectively as possible.
- The players must have one foot on the ground at all times
- An extra step can be taken when a player receives the ball
- A player must receive the ball with one foot on the ground and then take two steps while in possession of the ball before it must be thrown or shot
- An extra second is allowed while in possession of the ball, which should help improve ball placement
- A player can throw the ball within 4 seconds of receiving the ball
On the England Netball website, they have a netball finder that can help you find out if there is a class near you. If not you could always set up your own club. Having a netball kit would be very beneficial for comfort while playing or for leagues and competitions you may enter with your team. Make sure to look no further than Team Colours who can offer you a wide range of team wear to suit all your needs.
Watch this video to learn more.